In 1937, in accordance with new Government regulations, the Company became G.H. Varley Pty Ltd. Behind the name, business was continuing to return to a strong profitability, under the guidance of Clem Varley and James Colgan. The pair had strengthened bonds with many local and national marine and locomotive logistics agencies since taking the Company’s reigns, which proved vital to Varley’s reinvigoration thanks to the industry’s high demand in the late 1930s.
Work continued to flow through the door from Varley’s key customers in ever greater volumes as the months progressed, and the Company finally returned to a strong financial position. A new Oldsmobile was purchased, new workshop equipment was introduced and, as a direct repayment for the staff’s loyalty and strength through the recently-passed years of turmoil, salaries were increased.
At the AGM of March, 1939, the Company’s profit was noted as £1638 on a turnover of £43,770. The Darby Street premises expanded to cater for the increasing workload, and so too did the order books. Varley was thriving again, and despite the fresh influx of funds Company management remained level-headed and conservative; the recent decade of struggle left the firm battle-hardened and determined to avoid comparable reoccurrences.
Shortly after this time, however, the global political climate shifted dramatically once again, and G.H. Varley Pty Ltd was dragged into yet another World War…
Stay tuned for more of the incredible Varley Story.