Soon after G.H. Varley’s incorporation in 1912, the Company appointed a new secretary and public officer, James Colgan. Mr Colgan would stay with the business as an invaluable mentor and supporter of its chairmen for over 50 years to come, and become a legend at Varley.
In the same year, a second workshop was built in Darby Street, just around the corner from the original King Street site. Today, the facility no longer stands and instead the site forms a corner of Civic Park. In 1912, however, the area was a bustling commercial and industrial precinct readying itself for Newcastle’s industrial boom.
Most Varley administration remained in King Street, whilst the bulk of the manufacturing and engineering work took place in Darby Street from 1914 onwards. This expansion into new premises was a key indicator of a bright future to come at Varley, and perpetuated the growth of the business into new capabilities...
Stay tuned for more of the incredible Varley Story.